Moving Day

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Post Reply
User avatar
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Posts: 5708
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:39 pm
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton
Location: Whitefield, ME
Contact:

Moving Day

Post by Tim »

The new shop is done, the old shop is empty, and the house foundation is well underway, with concrete for the walls scheduled on Monday (3/20), which is also the day we pick up a 26' rental truck and load up for our official move to Whitefield. We'll store out belongings in the new shop building during the summer and house construction, but will leave large furniture in the old house till it sells, after which it will go into storage.

The old shop, which served me so well since 2003, is now empty for all intents and purposes. I'll move the crane after I load that engine on someone's truck in a week.

Image

All projects are wrapped up, and I am now ready to jump into house construction full-time during the summer and early fall before shifting back into my real life again in the fall.

Moving to the sticks means that we have to use satellite for Internet access (certainly dialup is no option), and we're a little behind on our scheduling. Therefore, we have no connection yet, but hopefully within the next week or so. In the meantime, I will travel to North Yarmouth a few times a week to check in, as I cannot live without my Internet access.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bhartley
Skilled Systems Installer
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:13 pm
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D
Location: Wolfskin Georgia

Living in the sticks...

Post by bhartley »

My now husband left a cable modem on the North Shore of Boston for a satellite connection in rural Georgia... My boss (with a cable modem) said "Wow, he must really love you!". You'll get used to the more leisurely pace of satellite...

There is a lot to be said for grass and trees (and boats) out of every window. I grew up in suburban NY with houses packed tightly together -- and now they've built more houses on what used to be lawns... I sure miss being closer to real water, but a month every summer gives me my fix.

Lake sailing has grown on me. No tides, seaweed or lobster pots. I look forward to getting Miranda up to Marblehead to sail in "real" water, but I will be quite content to keep the Sea Sprite on Lake Hartwell.

Our friends think we're a little strange to have a yacht club in our front yard, but all we have to do is show them the real estate section of the Marblehead paper when they ask if we're going to move back up North. Yikes! We measure our lots in acres and they measure them in square feet.

Enjoy your house building. I am hoping that Miranda will be in the water before you're in your new house!

Bly
User avatar
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:12 am
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl
Location: Milton, MA
Contact:

Post by tikvah59 »

Wow, that's a milestone! Personally, I abhor moving, but the effort is always worth it.

Now let me make sure I've got this right - you're going to live in an RV for the summer, you're not launching Glissando, the furniture is going in the 'garage' (of course the boat barn was built before the house!) and you're giving up high-speed internet??? I've got to come up there an check this place out - there must be oil or gold on the property! Bly is not the only one with a supportive spouse!

Seriously, congrats on the move and I hope the home-building goes as smoothly as any construction project can. ;-) Very few of us can say we're living our dream 24/7, so we're all enjoying this vicariously. I'm very glad for you and Holly.

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
User avatar
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Posts: 5708
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:39 pm
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton
Location: Whitefield, ME
Contact:

Post by Tim »

tikvah59 wrote:Personally, I abhor moving...
Well, it's not like I'm excited about the process. But it's one of those things that has to happen from time to time as one goes through life, I guess.

I'll miss my cable Internet. But it's not worth staying here just for that.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Post Reply