While we're ragging on Ebay...

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Post Reply
User avatar
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Posts: 5708
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:39 pm
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton
Location: Whitefield, ME
Contact:

While we're ragging on Ebay...

Post by Tim »

This listing is for a Pearson Triton.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1960-Pea ... dZViewItem

Note that this photo isn't even of the same boat! Huh??? Actually, I see that some questioner has already pointed this out to the seller (but why has he not removed the photo yet? It takes 2 seconds.)

Image
This listing wrote:Yanmar 2QM15 two cylinder diesel with less then 40 hours...
Wow, that's impressive, considering the 2QM15 hasn't been produced since 1980. 2 hours' use per year...excellent.

I'm also pretty sure that this boat was submerged, thereby creating the need for much of this work. I won't divulge exactly why I suspect this, but some detective work and other personal knowledge reveals the origins of this boat.
This listing wrote:...rebuilt pedo tube...
What is a pedo tube?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton
Location: Rowley, MA
Contact:

Post by bcooke »

What is a pedo tube?
I am tempted to ask the seller the question but my guess is it is the sender unit for the log. I say that because in the airplane world the PITOT tube (pronounced like pedo tube) is posititioned in the airstream to provide input for the airspeed indicator. Just a guess though.

You failed to mention the 101-150 gallon fuel capacity. They must be referring to the auxiliary fuel barge that can be towed behind.

Care to share your personal knowledge for my Triton files? Curious people (and those with no life) want to know.

-Britton
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:26 pm
Location: On the move
Contact:

Post by Allen »

Here are some pictures of the boat in question, which I once owned. The engine does look and run very well. The story was it had been put in an older boat and not used very much. I had a marine mechanic go over it and he agreed that it was in very good shape. I paid $6k for her (WC #94) with the understanding certain things would be completed by the seller, which never happened. I had her surveyed and had all the through hulls removed, serviced and reinstalled by Anacapa Marine (the picture in the travel lift and in the yard). I had the prop shaft removed and replaced and a new cutlass bearing installed as well as a new bilge pump (Rule 550) and battery. The boat had been painted and nonskid (sand) installed. The inside paint job (as you can see if you look closely at the inter pictures) was not really good quality with some waves/runs and a lot of blow-by on the interior wood. She is also very much in need of a lot of cleaning. The fuel tank is the standard Triton unit, so unless someone has figured out a way to compress fuel (fuel.zip???) there isn't any 100+ gal fuel capacity.

The reason I no longer own her? First, she partially sank and was probably six inches from going all the way down. The engine was under water and most of the interior wiring and engine related gauges were trashed. There was also the issue of having to travel to California to work on her and when being out of sight, being out of mind. In other words stuff that was supposed to get done never did unless I was there to supervise. Now, regarding the flooding, I had the engine professionally pickled, so it is probably still in good condition. No water was in the fuel, so all of that is probably ok. The refrigeration unit located to port behind the ice box is probably trash. The mast was not stepped and the survey found an issue with one of the fittings which was not replaced. Also the bow pulpit was not secured. The flooding was the result of a bilge pump being placed in the boat and its discharge hose running over the side falling into the water (the installed Rule 550 had failed, actually this was the second one which had failed). When the pump quit water was back siphoned into the boat, so it was not a result of any failure on the part of the boat. After all this happened I flew to CA to evaluate the situation, replaced the battery, installed a new bilge pump (way higher volume this time), and had the engine pickled a second time, just to make sure.

At this time I had intended to keep her. BoatUS, the insurance company, had offered me 8K (had her insured for 10K) the kicker here was I got a salvage title, which proved to be a death sentence when it came to reinsuring her with BoatUS and raised a bunch of other issues. Also, California wanted to tax her even though she was registered in New Mexico (check her Hull ID number). After considering the cost to replace the interior wiring, travel, etc. I decided to take the $10k from the insurance and let them have her.

From looking at the pictures on eBay, it looks like the only thing done to her has been to raise the mast and install the boom. I wonder if the questionable fitting has been replaced though. From looking at the interior pictures I'd say nothing has been done here either. I paid $6k for her and probably had another $4k into her mostly from the boat yard repairs and having the marine mechanic align the engine. BoatUS gave me $10k so basically I broke even. I believe the current seller, which is the guy I originally bought her from only paid $1k to BoatUS for the title, so his investment appears to be minimal.

She isn't a bad boat, but needs a lot of interior work. Assuming the engine is in good shape she is in excellent shape below the waterline, but definitely not worth what he is asking.

One other thing that comes to mind relates to the ports. When I finally got him to install the ports (out of sight, out of mind again) he fairly well messed that up, so there may be some issues here as well.

All in all I chalked it up to a learning experience since I just about broke even and had some nice times in California wondering around the docks and meeting some interesting liveaboard types.

As an aside, it was interesting being able to compare a WC Triton to an EC Triton. There are definitely some things about the WC boat I liked, namely the solid glass deck, but there were some things I did not like. The location of the water tank eliminates most of the bilge, so it would not take much to start flooding the cabin sole. There is also an issue which came to light by reading some of the MIR posts on the NTA site, like exposed lead found in the water tank of one WC Triton when the owner installed inspection plates in his water tank. Also none of the ports with the exception of the one in the head area open and the main cabin windows are just bolted to the outside of the cabin, no trim rings like an EC boat. Again, an interesting learning experience, especially considering it didn?t wind up costing me that much.

By the way, BoatUS was wonderful to work with and I would highly recommend them for you insurance needs. It seems the BoatUS policy would have covered recovery had she actually sank, which most insurance policies do not. Something to think about?

My apologies, as this is kind of rambling, I was trying to cover all the bases.



Image

Image

Image
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Image
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton
Location: Rowley, MA
Contact:

Post by bcooke »

My apologies, as this is kind of rambling, I was trying to cover all the bases.
Don't stop, I love these kind of rambles. That's why I have to limit my time visiting with Tim and certain other Triton owners. I start talking and asking questions and suddenly I notice the sun going down and my stomach rumbling.

I was curious because I recently collected information from several Triton websites and had created my own personal "master list" (have I mentioned I have no life?) I remember coming across information that identified two hull numbers associated with you in NM and I was wondering if I had some bad data or if you were trying to outdo Tim's collection. The photo with the reg #'s just added to the mystery. How many Tritons can there be in NM anyway? Great place by the way, just a long way from the water.

On a real tangent, didn't you mention a Carribean cruise on the NETA or NTA site? On second thought, maybe you should answer that off forum. I get into too much trouble with tangents already :-)

-Britton
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:26 pm
Location: On the move
Contact:

Post by Allen »

bcooke wrote:Don't stop, I love these kinds of rambles. That's why I have to limit my time visiting with Tim and certain other Triton owners. I start talking and asking questions and suddenly I notice the sun going down and my stomach rumbling.
Trust me, I know what you mean. If I want to travel into the future I just start talking Tritons and the next thing I know I'm several hours into the future. ;)
bcooke wrote:I was curious because I recently collected information from several Triton websites and had created my own personal "master list" (have I mentioned I have no life?) I remember coming across information that identified two hull numbers associated with you in NM and I was wondering if I had some bad data or if you were trying to outdo Tim's collection. The photo with the reg #'s just added to the mystery. How many Tritons can there be in NM anyway? Great place by the way, just a long way from the water.
You should have had Kaholee #158 EC and Kolokea #94 WC assigned to me. #94 is no longer mine, but belongs to Scott Gamber in Ventura County just outside Oxnard, CA. There may be another Triton in New Mexico. I'll have to research that. I am sure there is one in Colorado.
bcooke wrote:On a real tangent, didn't you mention a Caribbean cruise on the NETA or NTA site? On second thought, maybe you should answer that off forum. I get into too much trouble with tangents already :-)

-Britton
Well the plan is to get Kaholee to Tim this spring and let him do his magic on her. Then around April '07, haul her to the upper Chesapeake and start heading south. I may hide out in the lower Chesapeake for hurricane season then head to Key West and points south. That's the extent of the plan. Once I hit the water, planning will be limited to avoiding hurricane season but otherwise dependent on where the wind blows me. :)

Tangents are only tangent relative to their origin. After that they have a life of their own. ;)
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Image
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:26 pm
Location: On the move
Contact:

Post by Allen »

Here's the previous attempt to seel #94. The price came down a bit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... %3AIT&rd=1
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Image
User avatar
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Posts: 5708
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:39 pm
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton
Location: Whitefield, ME
Contact:

Post by Tim »

ahilburn wrote:First, she partially sank and was probably six inches from going all the way down. The engine was under water and most of the interior wiring and engine related gauges were trashed.
That's what I had thought, having gotten some of the history from you (which was why I was being secretive above, not wanting to divulge information that was secondhand...but thanks, Allen, for filling in all the details on the boat), so I asked the seller through Ebay specifically whether the boat had been submerged, and his answer was quite different.

Funnily enough, my question (and his non-truth answer) didn't show up on the Ebay listing.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton
Location: Rowley, MA
Contact:

Post by bcooke »

Tim, we must think alike. I asked the seller about the engine and fuel tankage and in a follow up mentioned a little of what I had learned from 'unnamed sources'. I was surprised by the strength -and rudeness -of his reply but apparently that was caused because I was not the first one to bring it up!

I don't think the seller is very familiar with the boat. I am still trying to figure out how he could accept 150 gallon fuel capacity so easily. I would think a tank of this size would be quite noticeable.

-Britton
User avatar
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Posts: 5708
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:39 pm
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton
Location: Whitefield, ME
Contact:

Post by Tim »

In the defense of the seller (not that he deserves it), listing on Ebay now includes annoying "ranges" and drop-down menus from which one must choose for things like fuel capacity, engine type, and so forth. Those choices are somewhat preordained, though obviously he should have chosen a different range. But at least he didn't type in the numbers on his own.

When people get defensive, you know they're upset because they got caught in their own web. I had hoped the responses to the questions would show up automatically, but forgot that the seller can choose which ones to post on the site or not. Rats.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:26 pm
Location: On the move
Contact:

Post by Allen »

I don't think the guy who did the eBay listing is actually the seller, just someone who knows how to do an eBay listing, so it may be that he really does not know the boat.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Image
Post Reply