Lessons learned

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Post Reply
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton
Location: Rowley, MA
Contact:

Lessons learned

Post by bcooke »

I learned an important lesson today.

No, not that lesson...

I learned the value of mocking up all parts before permanent ones are manufactured. Partly because I have a hard time visualizing all the bits and pieces of connecting hardware and conceiving parts in their three dimensions and partly because one of the few things I can afford is a single sheet of 1/4 luan plywood,... I made some mock-ups of tanks I want to install in my boat.

One of these tanks was a replacement for the normal Triton water tank under the V-berth. I couldn't understand why the tank wasn't built right up to the underside of the berth which would increase capacity considerably in an otherwise wasted space. The tank I had mocked up looked just like the original tank but taller and wider but still fitting into the fore and aft space formerly occupied by the original tank. Everything looked good. I left it in place for a couple of weeks while I sorted out the rest of the plumbing and figured out where the connecting hoses would be routed and so on.

Anyway... Today, it was time to take the dimensions of the mock-up down to a local welder who can get me a good deal on a custom made tank. I started removing the mock-up which had been built in place only to discover something very important. It wouldn't fit out past the bulkheads. I had to tear it apart to remove it from the V-berth area. Had I gone with my orginal plan of just measuring and ordering the tank I would have had a very nice, if unused, V shaped tank to hang on my basement wall.

Long story, short lesson. Taking the time to make a mock-up of your intended design is time well spent.

-Britton
User avatar
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Posts: 5708
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:39 pm
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton
Location: Whitefield, ME
Contact:

Post by Tim »

That would have been a painful mistake!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dkall
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:56 pm
Location: West Central Florida

Not really...

Post by dkall »

You could have made a key hole passage to the forward stateroom. Of course you would then have problems makeing a door to fit. :) But isn't it always so, you fix one problem and create another. :) Good luck.
Dave-Westsail 42-Elysium
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton
Location: Rowley, MA
Contact:

Post by bcooke »

Yeah, I may have missed a golden opportunity to tear out those crooked bulkheads while making room for my 40 gallon water tank.

-Britton
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: South coast of Texas, Matagorda Bay

Post by CharlieJ »

LOL- a second value that many don't realise about full sized patterns- If ya can't get the pattern OUT, ya can't get the part IN.:)

Glad you mocked it up first.
Post Reply