Cheese!

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Post Reply
dasein668
Boateg
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:09 am
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668
Location: Portland, Maine
Contact:

Cheese!

Post by dasein668 »

Ok, first off the following relates to boats. Really. I swear. Consider the facts:

1) Optimal cheese aging conditions are 55 degrees F at 85-95% humidity. Standard bilge atmospherics here in the northeast.

2) Cruising without cheese: evil.

3) Head usage reduction.

Defense rests.

Milk ripening with mesophilic starter culture at 90 degrees F:
Image

Curds cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Image

Curds cooking at 100 degrees F
Image

Curds draining for 1 hour in warm environment
Image

Cheddar after 10 minutes of pressing at 10lbs. (0.8 psi)
Image

Cheese pressing at 44lbs (3.5psi) for 12 hours
Image

Still to come: Air drying, waxing, aging, and eating.
User avatar
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Posts: 5708
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:39 pm
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton
Location: Whitefield, ME
Contact:

Post by Tim »

dasein668 wrote:Still to come: ...eating
That ought to be the most fun part!

Looks like an interesting process, and surprisingly simple. (Or maybe unsurprisingly, when I think about it...)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:09 am
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668
Location: Portland, Maine
Contact:

Post by dasein668 »

Tim wrote:
dasein668 wrote:Still to come: ...eating
That ought to be the most fun part!
Well, I certainly hope so... we'll see in about a month! I did pop down a few of the curds after salting and before pressing. Waaaay tastier than storebought cottage cheese, I can tell ya that!
Tim wrote:Looks like an interesting process, and surprisingly simple. (Or maybe unsurprisingly, when I think about it...)
Yeah, it's really not that tough. Definitely easier than brewing beer (at least if you mash your own grains, which I do). Admittedly this is about the easiest hard cheese you can make?farmhouse style cheddar. Even traditional english cheddar has more steps. And anything with mold... Starting with baby steps seemed appropriate though...
dasein668
Boateg
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:09 am
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668
Location: Portland, Maine
Contact:

Post by dasein668 »

After 12 (ok, more like 15) hours in the press, I unwrapped the cheese, carefully sliced it into two wheels and repressed each one briefly to help knit the rind on the cut face. The cheese will now air dry, turning several times daily, at room temperature for 2-4 days until a nice rind is formed. Then it will get waxed.

Two wheels, approx. 1/2 lb each, air drying.
Image
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:54 pm
Location: Oakland California
Contact:

Post by Robert The Gray »

Two flags for your upcoming spring cruise:

[img][img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads ... ac3fbf.jpg[/img][/img]
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:54 pm
Location: Oakland California
Contact:

Post by Robert The Gray »

i will try those photos again

sorry,

R
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:54 pm
Location: Oakland California
Contact:

Post by Robert The Gray »

argh.
out of time
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Posts: 2847
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:32 am
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42
Location: L.I. Sound

Post by Figment »

Good on ya, Nathan!

Though we're both Certified Cheese Freaks, I really think the wifey would kill me if I started another Make My Own hobby. She's still regretting the ice cream maker she gave me two christmases ago.

Unless, of course, there's an easy way to make Brie.... we're going through a lot of brie lately :)
dasein668
Boateg
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:09 am
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668
Location: Portland, Maine
Contact:

Post by dasein668 »

Well, Heather did roll her eyes. But she really doesn't like beer. But she loves cheese, so...
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:26 am
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35
Location: Richmond VA

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Ok..I gotta try that.

ANy good websites you'd recommend???

Ric
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Posts: 518
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:26 am
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35
Location: Richmond VA

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Ok..I gotta try that.

ANy good websites you'd recommend???

First Mohitos now home made cheese!!!!

Ric
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
dasein668
Boateg
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:09 am
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668
Location: Portland, Maine
Contact:

Post by dasein668 »

Ric in Richmond wrote:Ok..I gotta try that.

ANy good websites you'd recommend???
Well, I got the book Home Cheese Making from the library. I'll likely purchase a copy now.

The author is co-owner of New England Cheese Making Supply which is one source for stuff (including the book).

There's also some good info at [url=http://www.mainecheeseguild.org"]the Maine Cheese Guild[/url] including some good links to general info and additional vendors.
JetStream
Skilled Systems Installer
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:53 pm
Boat Name: Sojourn
Boat Type: Pearson 27
Location: Jamestown, RI

Post by JetStream »

Since the head will get little use now, is that where you set up the cheese shop?
Then would that be "head cheese"?
Bruce
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton
Location: Rowley, MA
Contact:

Post by bcooke »

You do realize, Nathan, that if you are going to tempt us with your homemade cheese then you are obligated to offer samples when it is done.

-Britton
dasein668
Boateg
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:09 am
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668
Location: Portland, Maine
Contact:

Post by dasein668 »

bcooke wrote:You do realize, Nathan, that if you are going to tempt us with your homemade cheese then you are obligated to offer samples when it is done.
Well, I'm not shipping it anywhere...
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:42 pm
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)
Location: Scarborough, Maine

Post by MikeD »

You know, to make this thread a little more "nautical", you could have used an anchor for the weights or something. How about homemade wine for your next project? :)
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Summersdawn
Skilled Systems Installer
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:34 pm

Post by Summersdawn »

Way to go Nathan. I worked with a guy who used to make cheese. Like anything else, the homemade stuff is better.

He brought in a homemade cheesecake once that he made with his homemade cheese. It was awesome.
Rick
Summer's Dawn
24 San Juan #380
User avatar
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Posts: 5708
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:39 pm
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton
Location: Whitefield, ME
Contact:

Post by Tim »

JetStream wrote:Since the head will get little use now, is that where you set up the cheese shop?
Then would that be "head cheese"?
Groan! But boy, I certainly hope that's not the case!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:09 am
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668
Location: Portland, Maine
Contact:

Post by dasein668 »

MikeD wrote: How about homemade wine for your next project? :)
My wife would certainly like that better than beer, but I must confess that I don't care enough about wine to take on that project. I'll stick with bread, beer, cheese, and sausage...
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Posts: 351
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:54 pm
Location: Oakland California
Contact:

Post by Robert The Gray »

here are the two flags for the spring cruise.


Image

Image

robert the graphic muenster
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Posts: 2847
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:32 am
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42
Location: L.I. Sound

Post by Figment »

Genuine Watterson images?
dasein668
Boateg
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:09 am
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668
Location: Portland, Maine
Contact:

Post by dasein668 »

Ready for Aging, 4-6 weeks minimum at 55 F, 85% RH.
Image
dasein668
Boateg
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:09 am
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668
Location: Portland, Maine
Contact:

Post by dasein668 »

Robert,

I still can't see those pictures... Must be a freeimagehosting issue...Anyone else have missing images?
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Posts: 2847
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:32 am
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42
Location: L.I. Sound

Post by Figment »

6 weeks is up, no? how is it?

(just came across this from one of my favorite cheese shops)
Image
The trucker cheese does actually bite back.
dasein668
Boateg
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:09 am
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668
Location: Portland, Maine
Contact:

Post by dasein668 »

Ah yes! Cheese is good. I wouldn't say it's true-to-style (the cheddar) but pretty tasty nontheless. I think there was a bit too much acid production in those first batches, so the cheese is a bit "lactic" tasting. But we had some on burgers last night and no one was complaining!

Haven't broken into the gouda yet...
Post Reply