Page 1 of 1

Cheese!

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:46 pm
by dasein668
Ok, first off the following relates to boats. Really. I swear. Consider the facts:

1) Optimal cheese aging conditions are 55 degrees F at 85-95% humidity. Standard bilge atmospherics here in the northeast.

2) Cruising without cheese: evil.

3) Head usage reduction.

Defense rests.

Milk ripening with mesophilic starter culture at 90 degrees F:
Image

Curds cut into 1/2 inch cubes
Image

Curds cooking at 100 degrees F
Image

Curds draining for 1 hour in warm environment
Image

Cheddar after 10 minutes of pressing at 10lbs. (0.8 psi)
Image

Cheese pressing at 44lbs (3.5psi) for 12 hours
Image

Still to come: Air drying, waxing, aging, and eating.

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:05 pm
by Tim
dasein668 wrote:Still to come: ...eating
That ought to be the most fun part!

Looks like an interesting process, and surprisingly simple. (Or maybe unsurprisingly, when I think about it...)

Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:14 pm
by dasein668
Tim wrote:
dasein668 wrote:Still to come: ...eating
That ought to be the most fun part!
Well, I certainly hope so... we'll see in about a month! I did pop down a few of the curds after salting and before pressing. Waaaay tastier than storebought cottage cheese, I can tell ya that!
Tim wrote:Looks like an interesting process, and surprisingly simple. (Or maybe unsurprisingly, when I think about it...)
Yeah, it's really not that tough. Definitely easier than brewing beer (at least if you mash your own grains, which I do). Admittedly this is about the easiest hard cheese you can make?farmhouse style cheddar. Even traditional english cheddar has more steps. And anything with mold... Starting with baby steps seemed appropriate though...

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:20 pm
by dasein668
After 12 (ok, more like 15) hours in the press, I unwrapped the cheese, carefully sliced it into two wheels and repressed each one briefly to help knit the rind on the cut face. The cheese will now air dry, turning several times daily, at room temperature for 2-4 days until a nice rind is formed. Then it will get waxed.

Two wheels, approx. 1/2 lb each, air drying.
Image

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:43 pm
by Robert The Gray
Two flags for your upcoming spring cruise:

[img][img]http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads ... ac3fbf.jpg[/img][/img]

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:44 pm
by Robert The Gray
i will try those photos again

sorry,

R

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:50 pm
by Robert The Gray
argh.
out of time

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:25 pm
by Figment
Good on ya, Nathan!

Though we're both Certified Cheese Freaks, I really think the wifey would kill me if I started another Make My Own hobby. She's still regretting the ice cream maker she gave me two christmases ago.

Unless, of course, there's an easy way to make Brie.... we're going through a lot of brie lately :)

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:47 pm
by dasein668
Well, Heather did roll her eyes. But she really doesn't like beer. But she loves cheese, so...

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:46 pm
by Ric in Richmond
Ok..I gotta try that.

ANy good websites you'd recommend???

Ric

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:47 pm
by Ric in Richmond
Ok..I gotta try that.

ANy good websites you'd recommend???

First Mohitos now home made cheese!!!!

Ric

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:20 pm
by dasein668
Ric in Richmond wrote:Ok..I gotta try that.

ANy good websites you'd recommend???
Well, I got the book Home Cheese Making from the library. I'll likely purchase a copy now.

The author is co-owner of New England Cheese Making Supply which is one source for stuff (including the book).

There's also some good info at [url=http://www.mainecheeseguild.org"]the Maine Cheese Guild[/url] including some good links to general info and additional vendors.

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:27 pm
by JetStream
Since the head will get little use now, is that where you set up the cheese shop?
Then would that be "head cheese"?

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:17 pm
by bcooke
You do realize, Nathan, that if you are going to tempt us with your homemade cheese then you are obligated to offer samples when it is done.

-Britton

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:23 am
by dasein668
bcooke wrote:You do realize, Nathan, that if you are going to tempt us with your homemade cheese then you are obligated to offer samples when it is done.
Well, I'm not shipping it anywhere...

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:47 am
by MikeD
You know, to make this thread a little more "nautical", you could have used an anchor for the weights or something. How about homemade wine for your next project? :)

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:24 am
by Summersdawn
Way to go Nathan. I worked with a guy who used to make cheese. Like anything else, the homemade stuff is better.

He brought in a homemade cheesecake once that he made with his homemade cheese. It was awesome.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:11 am
by Tim
JetStream wrote:Since the head will get little use now, is that where you set up the cheese shop?
Then would that be "head cheese"?
Groan! But boy, I certainly hope that's not the case!

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:00 am
by dasein668
MikeD wrote: How about homemade wine for your next project? :)
My wife would certainly like that better than beer, but I must confess that I don't care enough about wine to take on that project. I'll stick with bread, beer, cheese, and sausage...

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:09 pm
by Robert The Gray
here are the two flags for the spring cruise.


Image

Image

robert the graphic muenster

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:29 pm
by Figment
Genuine Watterson images?

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:48 pm
by dasein668
Ready for Aging, 4-6 weeks minimum at 55 F, 85% RH.
Image

Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:53 pm
by dasein668
Robert,

I still can't see those pictures... Must be a freeimagehosting issue...Anyone else have missing images?

Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:13 pm
by Figment
6 weeks is up, no? how is it?

(just came across this from one of my favorite cheese shops)
Image
The trucker cheese does actually bite back.

Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:12 am
by dasein668
Ah yes! Cheese is good. I wouldn't say it's true-to-style (the cheddar) but pretty tasty nontheless. I think there was a bit too much acid production in those first batches, so the cheese is a bit "lactic" tasting. But we had some on burgers last night and no one was complaining!

Haven't broken into the gouda yet...