Bill Shaw Gone Onwards to the Great Beyond.

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Post Reply
Case
Skilled Systems Installer
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:59 pm

Bill Shaw Gone Onwards to the Great Beyond.

Post by Case »

Yep... Pearson's longtime Chief Designer has passed on. He died last Sunday.

I know that Shaw's Pearson designs probably was not quite to the taste to many members of this forum but they were notable.

Examples: Pearson Renegade, Pearson Coaster, Pearson 26, Pearson 28, Pearson 30, Pearson 10M, and the Pearson 35, just to name a few. Shaw designed many more but I consider his 1980s designs to be... forgettable. They all look the same...

I am more fond of the Alberg/Rhodes Pearsons than Shaw's designs but the Pearson 30 was always one of my favorite older 1970s fin keel sailboat in the 30 feet range. I consider Shaw's Pearsons one of the best bang for the buck sailboats out there in the used sailboat market.

Alberg/Rhodes designed Pearsons often costs less to buy but usually needs more work to bring them up to acceptable standards so they actually cost more in the long run, in most cases.

Anyway, may Bill Shaw sail on in the Great Beyond.

By the way, in case if people are unware, he is the second great designer to die this year... the other was Bill Lapworth earlier this year.

Fair Breezes - Case
User avatar
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Posts: 5708
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:39 pm
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton
Location: Whitefield, ME
Contact:

Post by Tim »

I agree that Bill Shaw definitely left an important mark on the sailing industry. Boats of his design are in every harbor, thanks to the incredible popularity (and general longevity) of the Pearson boats from the 60s to the early 90s. Few designers probably have more actual units built to one of their designs on the water.

He was a corporate company designer who drew what his employer needed to fill its market niche. Despite the unfortunate demise of Pearson in the early 90s, there's no denying that the Bill Shaw boats obviously served the company and the customer well. I suspect he was capable of more interesting and passionate designs, but since he worked for Pearson for nearly his full career, never had the opportunity to branch out.

I grew up sailing a P-30 and have fond memories of the boat. I still think it's one of the better 30-footers out there--a good sailer and generally attractive. While I was never a huge fan of the 80s Pearsons, I certainly think they look better than today's crop of monstrosities.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
User avatar
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:05 am
Location: Port Starboard, MD

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

One of the best things about Bill Shaw (besides his prolific designs), was the fact that he was so accessible. He was listed in the Bristol, RI phone book and if you had a question, you could call him up and he would talk to you! The last few years were hard, however, apparently due to his alzheimers-- but it was fun talking to him about my former Pearson Renegade. I liked it so much I bought a Pearson 39 which has not dissapointed me.

Bill will be missed, but no doubt he's able to do a lot more sailing now!
Rest in peace.

More on Bill here: http://www2.eastbayri.com/Obituaries/Ob ... obitID=961
Post Reply