Page 1 of 1

Not looking good...

Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:03 pm
by dasein668
Things are starting to look grim for BMW/Oracle. What are the odds on it being a rematch of NZ v. Alinghi this year?

Kranky Kup HaterzTM need not reply! ;-P

Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:30 am
by Tim
That's OK. I have never liked Oracle/Larry Ellison anyway.

And there's no nationality in the event anymore. Even if Oracle were to become the challenger, and even if they were to win, somehow I'd not feel like it was a victory for America. No team is truly national, or even close. It used to be about sailing. Now it's about money.

Yes, I've turned into one of the Kranky Kup Haterz. (Well, more accurately, one of the growing number of saddened lamenters of bygone and better days.)

No one is more sorry about that than I.

Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:09 am
by George ( C&C 40 )
I have to agree with Nathan. It looks like a typical performance of a Chris Dickson led team. I really look forward to the Louis Vuitton series and this is bumming me out.

George

Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:55 pm
by Figment
I rather like that there is less national identity to the teams. Leave that to the olympics.
My own lamentation for bygone days has more to do with the fact that I cannot stand the sight of the flat-top sailplans. They just rub me the wrong way.

Oracle's blown start today was a shame, but they had to gamble with something to get a leg-up.

Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:40 pm
by dasein668
I didn't catch today's race, but watching the 2min50sec recap it sure looked like some sloppy racing by Oracle. Two collisions? C'mon, guys...

Yeah, Mike, I agree about those sailplans.

This is an interesting juxtaposition:

Image

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:15 am
by Figment
two penalties, only one collision. Desperation moves, both.

Oracle was trapped behind the pin and tried to spin away, but the damn boat just couldn't possibly spin fast enough and they left themselves completely exposed on port.

Fifteen seconds later they found themselves to leeward with a chance to offset the penalty (I probably would have done the same thing) and made it audibly obvious (CRUNCH) that windward did NOT keep clear. Judges ruled they didn't give adequate opportunity, and it was two laps of follow-the-leader.

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:17 am
by dasein668
Ah, thanks for the clarification Mike. The short recap film on the Versus website didn't really make it clear exactly what happened. Your description makes it sound a little more respectable!

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:05 am
by dasein668
Pulling Chris Dickson off the boat seemed a desparation move. And it did 'em a fat lotta good, huh? Spain's putting up a better fight against NZ!

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:54 am
by Allen
Personally, I think the Cup has been going downhill ever since they stopped sailing the 12 Meters. I have to agree with Tim, the AC was always about your guys vs their guys. Now it's just another product. I don't really even bother to stay tuned in any more. Now if they started sailing Js again... :)

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:09 am
by dasein668
This series has been GOOD! Despite TNZ's seeming inability to handle their spinnaker sets...

The dual leeward gates has really made for some interesting tactical decisions.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:27 am
by Allen
Well I guess I need to take that back. That had to be the most nail bighting finish to any America's Cup ever. 2 second delta. Wow!

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:13 pm
by dasein668
This cup had some of the best sailboat racing I've ever seen. Granted I'm not that old, but still.

I think I'm about the only person in the world who doesn't care about the nationality thing. To me it's about putting together some teams of great sailors and heading out to have some great match racing. I know there's the history of the cup and all that, but I'd rather see some excellent competition than watch a mismatch of "national" teams.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:00 pm
by Figment
ditto.

I understand the whole benefit of the AC as a development class, but frankly I'd find it a lot more entertaining if it were sailed one-design.

I guess I really just hope that someday the olympic sailing events will get the kind of coverage that the AC gets. Or even something less glorious but just as intense like the J24 worlds.

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:06 am
by Figment
So much for going smaller.

Next cup boats to be 90 feet!!

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!