Fantastic Looking Paint Job

Anything goes, as long as it falls under the general forum protocol and rules.
Post Reply
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:59 am
Location: Marshall, Virginia

Fantastic Looking Paint Job

Post by jhenson »

Nathan,

As I seem to be continuously lowering the asthetic value (and monetary value as well) by hacking away at it, I came across the pictures of Dasein's beautiful green hull. It's enough to bring an owner of a land based boat to tears of joy! Only another 10,000 hours of labor and maybe I'll be have something similar (only not as good I'm sure) to show for it. The color is my personal favorite and it really looks outstanding!

I'd love to see especially how it looks with the masking tape removed from the toe rails. I think wooden toe rails very much add to the beauty of these boats, and like the profile on these as well as those on Glissando.

I'll be thinking of how the good your boat will look on the water when I try to motivate myself to grind away at mine. Congratulations! Thanks for your website.

Joe
dasein668
Boateg
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:09 am
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668
Location: Portland, Maine
Contact:

Post by dasein668 »

Thanks Joe. More photos will be coming?there's still lots being done?but right now my focus has been on the boat itself rather than the site as I only have 18 more days before launch.
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:59 am
Location: Marshall, Virginia

Post by jhenson »

Nathan,

Speaking of the toe rails. Could you give me an idea of what was done to the molded toe rail prior to adding the (old)wooden one? I'm guessing that this was done before you acquired the boat. For example, was there a flat spot ground down on it before applying? Does the profile you have now appoximate the size and shape of one that you removed? I'm just thinking way far ahead about how I might do mine.

Thanks,

Joe
User avatar
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Posts: 5708
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:39 pm
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton
Location: Whitefield, ME
Contact:

Post by Tim »

Nathan's boat, being one of the late model Tritons, has a different toerail and deck design. Instead of the molded half-round toerail like your boat has, Joe, Nathan had a flat deck edge on which a half round wooden rail was secured. The latest boats were all like this.

This is what the original looked like:
Image

This is what the flat looked like underneath:
Image

Trying to emulate Nathan's very slick toerail on top of the molded half-round would not work very well, and wouldn't come out the same; it looks sort of funny to perch a rail up on top of the fiberglass version (I've seen one...). Fortunately, the new version is nothing remotely like the one that came off--the new is 1000% nicer in all ways, and really highlights the boat.

Since the tabbing securing the hull and deck together on your boat runs into the hollow underside of the molded rail, you can't just cut it off and start fresh either, at least not without some serious reglassing. If one really wanted to, you could cut off the old toerail in sections and reglass over the edge, inside and out. This would be a large job. If I were doing the same scope of work to the same boat again, knowing what I know now, I might just go to this extreme...but I am not really recommending it. As we all know, I'm a bit off kilter sometimes!

This is about how your hull-deck joint looks; the toerail is to the left. You can see how the tabbing that secured the hull and deck together wrapped up into the hollow formed by the molded rail.
Image

The wood adds so much to any Triton that it's worth figuring out a solution. My molded rail was a nightmare of damage, cracks, and ugliness, so I wrapped my molded rail in 1/4" mahogany on all sides, creating a sort of squarish profile. It was a means to an end, and I am pleased with it, though there is room for improvement. I added a nice external rubrail last season, something my original design had cried out for long ago. Read the description of the project here.
Image
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
heartofgold
Skilled Systems Installer
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:47 am
Location: Pensacola Bay
Contact:

Post by heartofgold »

As we all know, I'm a bit off kilter sometimes!
Only a bit?!
Doug
http://heartofgoldsails.com
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea."
Karen Blixen
User avatar
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Posts: 5708
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:39 pm
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton
Location: Whitefield, ME
Contact:

Post by Tim »

hehe...I wondered who would be the first to jump on that one!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
dasein668
Boateg
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:09 am
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668
Location: Portland, Maine
Contact:

Post by dasein668 »

Here's another view of the old rail during demolition. You can see the flat, covered with silicone and dirt as well as the hull-deck joint.

Image

Here's a view of the new rail and rub rail to cover the hull-deck joint.


Image
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton
Location: Rowley, MA
Contact:

Post by bcooke »

Here's a view of the new rail and rub rail to cover the hull-deck joint.
I bet those new rub rails really set off and accentuate the freshly painted hull and decks. Of course I wouldn't know for sure since I haven't seen any picture lately...

-Britton
dasein668
Boateg
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:09 am
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668
Location: Portland, Maine
Contact:

Post by dasein668 »

bcooke wrote:
Here's a view of the new rail and rub rail to cover the hull-deck joint.
I bet those new rub rails really set off and accentuate the freshly painted hull and decks. Of course I wouldn't know for sure since I haven't seen any picture lately...

-Britton
Oh sheesh.

Look back here.

More recent pictures either have tape underneath for varnish, or show an extrememly dusty hull.

Only 17 more days till launch. Should be some nice pictures then!
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton
Location: Rowley, MA
Contact:

Post by bcooke »

No, no, those are old pictures :-)

I will admit to missing the first one posted. I saw the second and third and missed the other one. Were you being sneaky and re-loaded a picture...

-Britton
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton
Location: Rowley, MA
Contact:

Post by bcooke »

Nathan's boat, being one of the late model Tritons...
late model = better.

Hehe...
User avatar
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Posts: 5708
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:39 pm
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton
Location: Whitefield, ME
Contact:

Post by Tim »

There will be no wars started over the vintage of one's Triton!

Geez, Britton, you're such an instigator! hehe
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Posts: 393
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:59 am
Location: Marshall, Virginia

Post by jhenson »

Tim,

Thanks for the info on toe rails. I'm obviously not very familiar with the boats built near the end of the production run. Though the molded toe rails on my boat are in good condition, I think the change will be something I just will have to do now that I have seen these two boats.

I'd like to solicit opinions on having just a cap and outboard section, sort of like an upside down "L". I recently saw one like this on another boat, and liked the look. I would look a bit like this one on a Tartan 27:

Image.

Joe
User avatar
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Posts: 5708
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:39 pm
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton
Location: Whitefield, ME
Contact:

Post by Tim »

I think that what is most important is doing what you like, and what accomplishes your goals. The T-27 type would be fine if you like the look--I see no particular downfalls to it. Yours might be somewhat different because of the curved toerail profile, but the basic idea would be the same.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton
Location: Rowley, MA
Contact:

Post by bcooke »

Geez, Britton, you're such an instigator! hehe
Drat!

Foiled again by your civility.

This weather is frustrating my attempts to finish some glassing which is holding up a couple of other projects. I had hoped to take out my frustration on the boards but I guess I will have to look elsewhere :-(

I'll be back...
User avatar
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Posts: 5708
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:39 pm
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton
Location: Whitefield, ME
Contact:

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote:I had hoped to take out my frustration on the boards but I guess I will have to look elsewhere :-(
Try the universally awful Pearson list (Sailnet) or Cruising World BB. There are always dumb fights and posturing going on there.

I haven't been to either in years, so maybe they're better now.

Nah...
bcooke wrote:This weather is frustrating my attempts to finish some glassing which is holding up a couple of other projects.
It's beautiful here today, for a change. Is it not nice 2 hours south?
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Posts: 2272
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:55 pm
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton
Location: Rowley, MA
Contact:

Post by bcooke »

Well, yes, today is/was nice. I got the last of the glass down and now I just need to lay some 407 before I announce the project complete. It is raining again and we have another 3 days of it to contend with. I am glad I got talked out of removing my tarp/tent/whatever you call it. Have you been out of your boat barn lately?

I have never even checked out Sailnet. If my mood goes south again I will check it out.

-Britton
Post Reply